Learning & Engagement Fund
Background & Recognition of the Need
Greater Than: County Youth Collective is a collaborative of young people and community agencies with a vision of supporting Prince Edward County (PEC) youth to embrace learning and personal development to achieve their potential. The long-term goal of this collaborative is to raise secondary school graduation rates in PEC to be consistent with the provincial average. As part of a broader strategy, we have developed a Youth Learning & Engagement Fund.
Greater Than community partners recognize that lack of funds can affect participation of local youth in educational, arts, cultural, sports, and civic activities. The research is clear on the long-term benefits such involvement can have on physical, emotional, and mental well-being. In addition, when engaged in community activities youth develop leadership, problem-solving, and decision-making skills, which will serve them well in a variety of life endeavours including educational attainment.
Purpose of the Fund
To support PEC youth aged 12-29 to participate in educational, arts, cultural, sports, and civic activities.
Only Greater Than Partner agencies can apply on behalf of individuals: An Application Form must be completed. If approved, the monies will be dispensed to the Partner agency to protect the anonymity of the recipient. Prior to applying to the fund, applicants must demonstrate that other avenues have been explored and that the funding request is not eligible to be covered by any other programs. Only residents of PEC are eligible to receive these funds.
Recipients of the fund can be any PEC youth(aged 12-29):
- who are engaged in their education or attempting to re-engage with their education. Education is defined broadly and can include apprenticeship, mentorship, certificate etc.
- whose financial circumstances make them unable to pay the full cost of participation
- who seek funding related to participation in education or meaningful community engagement through activities or events.
- whose request is related to one of the pillars of Greater Than’s Theory of Change captured below:
- Requests for individual youth are anonymous. However, the request must be initiated by a need; and must be presented by a Greater Than Partner agency on behalf of the individual.
- All requests are held in the strictest confidence, no information will be shared
What is Funded?
- Application Fees
- Transportation – Local
- Equipment (such as Clothing, Sports Gear)
- Travel/Accommodation – Away
- Registration Fees; Training Fees (WHMIS, Smart Serve, Drivers Ed.).
- Note: This is not an exhaustive list. Requests from eligible applicants that connect with the Theory of Change above will be considered.
- Individual: up to $400 for a maximum of one proposal a year
- Individual asks under $200 can be approved within three working days
- Amounts over $200 will be approved within 10 working days
Disbursement of Funds
- Once Approved, funds will be disbursed within three working days
- Greater Than Partner Agencies will be required to provide an impact statement from the youth in receipt of the fund
- Greater Than Partner Agencies will be required to submit receipts for funds disbursed
- Reporting is due within one month after the completion of the activity
This is a pilot that will be reviewed after May 31, 2019. Feedback regarding the application experience is welcome.
How to apply:
There are currently 2 ways you can apply for the Learning and Engagement fund:
Ages 12-18 can apply through the ROC
Applicants do not have to be active members in these organizations in order to apply for the Learning and Engagement fund.
Questions? Email us